Product layering. Bloggers rave about it. Skincare experts advocate it. But what exactly does it mean to layer your skincare, and what order should you be applying your products for the best results?
Layering is a buzzword right now in the world of beauty, but it’s probably something that a lot of you have been doing anyway! It simply means applying multiple products one after the other.
There are no hard and fast rules about how many products you should apply to your skin, but there is a bit of an art to layering. Even if you’re just using two different products on your skin you need to know the order to layer them to get the most out of each one.
You should always start with the lightest product and work your way through to the heaviest ones. A light serum is going to find it tough to absorb into your skin if it’s going on top of a thick moisturiser! If you find that your products are starting to “ball up” when you layer them you need to wait and let each one dry properly before applying the next. Don’t just apply to your face – work the product onto your neck and décolletage.
With both of these routines, if you don’t use that particular product then of course skip it and move onto the next step. But if you want to expand your regimen we’ve added some suggestions to get you started.
1. Cleanser. Start by cleansing your skin. Some people think a splash of water in the morning is enough, but actually you should be cleansing properly to remove any skincare products from the night before as well as pore clogging bacteria from your pillow. We love Enbacci Vitis Vinifera Gel Cleanser and Milk Face Wash and Scrub.
3. Serum. Whether it’s anti-ageing, brightening or skin clearing, your serum needs every opportunity to work its magic on your skin. Apply a small later to your entire face. Try Bioderma Hydrabio Serum to add some extra moisture to very dry skin or Indio Multi-V Serum to brighten your skin and give it a vitamin boost.
5. Oil. If you’ve embraced the wonders of oil then it’s time to massage it into your skin. Just a drop or two is all you need. Oil is fantastic for very dry skin as it helps to hydrate and give you a glow. bellabox top seller Goe Oil could be your choice or perhaps cult favourite Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse.
5. Moisturiser. Lets lock in all that goodness with your regular moisturiser. Even oily skin needs a light lotion applied to it every day. For a refreshing moisturiser that hydrates skin and releases moisture throughout the day we love Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel. Get radiant skin while protecting and moisturising with Aveda Tourmaline Charged Hydrating Crème.
Now it’s time to do your makeup and get ready to face the day!
1. Cleanser. Give your skin a really great cleanse to remove your makeup. It doesn’t matter how many products you layer on top, if you go to sleep with a dirty face you will wake up with pimples, blackheads or oily skin. We like Gatineau Primrose Gel Cleanser, but you might want to invest in a Foreo Luna for the ultimate cleanse.
3. Serum. Don’t skip this one. This is the best time to use an intensive serum, as it will help repair your skin while you sleep. Just apply with your fingertips for best results. Get to work on wrinkles and sun damage with Paula’s Choice Resist Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol Serum or try a facelift in a jar with Transformulas Marine Miracle Crème to regenerate your skin.