If there’s one woman who can make you feel like a total and utter slob, it’s Ms Dita Von Teese. The burlesque performer, model, businesswoman and all round bombshell, is the living, breathing epitome of old school, high voltage glamour. And we love her for it!
With her suspenders, glossy waves and ubiquitous red lippie, Dita’s a breath of fresh air in the era of active wear, no-makeup makeup and beach hair. We spent five minutes chatting to everyone’s favourite pin-up in the hopes some of her glamour might rub off on us. Here’s what she had to say about beauty, style and the art of seduction. Enjoy!
“Glamour doesn’t belong to the rich or the famous; glamour is within reach of any woman that wants it. It begins with an awareness of beauty, and desire to possess it. It means making the most of what you’ve got, and everyone has something.”
On Feeling Sexy…
“I feel most confident when I stay true to the things that make me feel good. I think the key to being sexy is feeling confident, and noticing what those things are for you rather than trying to follow someone else's advice or trying to appeal to someone's aesthetics or ideas of what is sexy. That is a wild goose chase!”
On Being True to Yourself…
“I enjoy wearing my hair in waves, and I love wearing red lipstick and cat-eyeliner...but at the same time, there are people that have told me that I look younger or prettier without ‘all that stuff’, or with my hair in its natural, straight state.
“This is how one fails at being sexy, by doubting oneself, by buying into what other's think. It's nice to get compliments, but really, you have to be true to yourself and notice how things make YOU feel, because that is what radiates and that is one thing that IS universally sexy.”
On Practicing Seduction, Every Day…
“I personally feel sexy when I practice everyday moments of seduction; I like to be surrounded with my own style of decor that makes me happy...pretty things, good lighting, scented candles, and things like that. I love pleasurable, poetic space. I am very affected by bad lighting and unpleasant atmosphere!
“I also feel sexy when I am in good shape. I feel sexy when I eat in a balanced way, and when I do some kind of exercise.”
On Ditchy the Daggy Undies…
“I love wearing perfume and nice lingerie every day, no matter who will experience it. It's something that takes no extra time out of my day, and it makes me feel good. I think sometimes we store our sensuality away when we are single, and that is a mistake. When we engage in sensuality because we genuinely enjoy it, it becomes second nature and it is no longer something we have to think about when we DO want to seduce someone else.”
On the Art of Seduction…
“My personal favorite seduction technique is to have it appear as though I am just ALWAYS that way, which means I am always wearing stockings and garters, and I never mismatch my lingerie, whether I'm on a date or at a luncheon. I practice the art of seduction every single day. I have never ‘changed into something sexy’ for a man. I indulge in beauty and sensuality every day and therefore it has become easy for me.”
A few Tips from Dita for Your Next Striptease…
* The ideal striptease lingerie consists of a bra, a garterbelt, stockings and panties. The idea is to have lots of layers that can be removed in a seemingly effortless manner, deliberately and slowly in order to work your victim into a sexual frenzy.
* Do a striptease with your hair. Every woman should master the art of creating a chic chignon or French twist. Practice doing this until you can put it in a chignon or twist with one or two large hairpins you can easily find and remove and let it down at just the right moment.
* Perfume your hair. Spray a little on your hairbrush and brush through, starting at the nape of the neck.
* Choose shoes that are as high as you can handle without falling over, and you might want a shoe that slips off easily. Ankle straps and buckles are for experienced stripteasers only.
* Lighting. I cannot express the importance of this enough! I have dimmer switches in every room of my house, and I'm not exaggerating. Every single room! If you can't dim the lights, you can use candle light or softly drape the lights with a scarf. I would choose a deep pink or lavender scarf for the most flattering tones. Better still, paint the walls of your room blush pink! Naked ladies look prettiest bathed in rose pink light.
* Choose music that YOU love. I can't tell you what music is going to put you in the mood, that is up to you. Below is a list of some standard striptease classics, but ultimately, you should choose music from any era that suits your personality and makes you feel good.
And Some of Dita’s Favourite Striptease Tracks…
Feelin' Good by Nina Simone
The Silencers by Vikki Carr
Purple Wail by Red Prysock
The Stormy Blues by Billie Holiday
Deshabillez-Moi by Juliette Greco
Subscribe to our bellabox newsletter for exclusive tips and offers!