Not to be totally morbid, but, “gave good brow game” – that’s how I imagine my beauty tombstone to be inscribed.
That’s not to say I don’t have anything to learn. In fact, my brow ‘game’ has been dependent on my genetics and a little lass known as Cara D, who has almost singlehandedly popularised a bold brow such as mine, more so than any specific brow building skills per se.
So, when I was introduced to the Amy Jean, of Amy Jean Eye Couture, I had my metaphorical pen and pad poised, ready for my tutelage. In actuality, I did type furiously into my iphone notes – I wanted to remember this pro advice. Luckily for you, said i-notes are recounted below in her top tips, for not only the fabbest brows to frame a face, but also how in the world you can get eyelashes that look like a baby deer… For reals.
Amy Jean hard at work on Lauren’s brows!
1) First up, Amy Jean shattered my idea that darker is always better. By very softly lightening the brow, brows look bigger. The darker the brow, the thinner and sparser the hairs can actually look. I was up for it and so was my fellow brow student, Brand Manager Sam.
Amy applied a light bleach to our brows and left to sit for only a few minutes before wiping off. Now, the naked eye of a stranger my not be able to tell your furry friends have been bleached, but up close in the mirror, you will notice a subtle difference. Key word: subtle. Don’t fear a platinum brow! It’s just not in Amy’s brow vocab.
One of Amy Jean’s many celeb clients - fashion blogger Elle Ferguson from They All Hate Us. Image via @amyjeaneyecouture
2) Next up, the waxing. Amy is very careful to not wax over refined skin, and asks us if we have been using AHAs or retinols in our beauty routines. Alpha H Liquid Gold lovers, take note. This is important to remember, as not all brow technicians will be as intuitive and ask you. If you are having your brows shaped, keep the skin around these areas free of your exfoliating beauty chems for a week before.
Amy’s waxing is also very precise – no big paper strips being ripped here!
3) Plucking comes next to get in where waxing couldn't get close enough. It’s assuring to know there is NO heavy handed approach with Amy (not like we expected one) and that she will happily spend time gently plucking away strays, rather than attempting to grab them all in one waxy wave of the hand and rush you out the door.
Melbourne director Kim giving fashion, beauty and lifestyle blogger Sarah Jane Young from She Is, Sarah Jane a Brow Sculpt and Lash Lift.Image via @amyjeaneyecouture
4) After these things comes the filling. Just like an Oreo, this was my favourite bit. Yep, Amy also fills in the brows and will show you the best way to do so to ensure you can do it at home. The best technique is to use a velvety brow powder like her Brow Velvet which really does have a velvet consistency for a ‘no gaps’ fluffy brow. She recommends applying a powder, rather than a pencil, as it sinks in between hairs for a more natural look. No waxy lines on top of your brows like a pencil can leave. Apply with a fine tipped brush, and be sure to focus on the underside of the brow, as this will help give a full look, rather than focusing all of your brow energies along the top line. Also, don't be afraid to draw on a little extra length with the brush for a flattering line and precise outer tip.
Amy Jean with celebrity client (and our favourite X Factor judge) Dannii Minogue! Image via @amyjeaneyecouture
5) Don’t think getting your brows professionally shaped is worth the dosh? Think like Amy. Your brows are so central to your look, and face in general! People will notice your brows 100% of the time over your nails, so don’t allocate all your beauty funds to things like your tips (even though a good mani is always fun!). Think about those brows too. And really, the celebs can’t be wrong! Danni Minogue is a huge fan of Amy Jean, as we now are too in case it wasn't obvious.
Best of all Amy’s lovely team of brow and lash technicians are on hand at her Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney salons and she has plans to expand even further too, so stay tuned (or just book a flight for a long weekend and killer brow game of your own)
Now, lashes more your thing? You’ll do well to look into her Lash Lift treatments. An instant root lift for natural lashes, it’s more advance than the traditional perm as solution is only added to the roots of lashes. Then, silicone moulds lengthen and curl the rest of the lash to perfection.
Followed by a lash tint and then a conditioner, lovely, curled and glossy lashes are all yours. No extensions or clunky curlers needed. Just around 45 minutes of your time. And almost best of all, you keep your peepers shut the whole time, Hello email break! - Lauren
You have the chance to get your brows sculpted and lashes lifted by Australia’s Arch Angel, Amy Jean! With her long list of celebrity clients including Naomi Campbell, Dannii Minogue and Mel B – this is a beauty experience not to be missed and valued at a huge $210!
And as an extra special runners up treat, we also have 1 brow kit filled with everything you need to perfect those brows (valued at $150) CLICK HERE FOR ENTRY DETAILS!