As it is officially sandal season, it is time to give some much needed attention to your nails. Nail lacquer is a fun way of experimenting with the newest trends without breaking the bank. Whether you're thinking of a canary yellow or a crisp white, this summer is all about colour. Here are our 10 favourite colours and finishes for summer:
1. Orange - Whether you prefer a more vibrant or a softer palette, orange is one of the hottest shades this summer. Our favourite shades are (left to right) Revlon nail polish in Make Mine Mango, Chanel Orange Fizz and OPI nail lacquer in A Good Man-Darin Is Hard To Find
Fashionista Olivia Palermo opts for a hint of tangerine for a final touch
2. Red - Being the most popular and the boldest of all nail colours, red ignites a multitude of emotions. The colour of both passion and anger is best done this summer in a bright and intense shade. Why not try (left to right) Kit Cosmetics nail colour in Fast Track or Mac nail lacquer in Shirelle.
Model Abbey Lee captures attention with bold nails and lipstick
3. Purple - Take your pick from either an electric or a warm shade of purple. This colour is perfect for lazy days at the beach or for your holiday parties. We are loving Revlon top speed nail enamel in Violet, Mac nail lacquer in Dark Angel or Ozotic nail polish in Purple.
Deep purple nails act as the final touch for Summer!
4. Blue - Splash your nails with either a sky blue or a navy blue shade this summer. Try a shade of blue in (left to right) Chanel in Blue Satin, Essie nail colour in Midnight Cami or Bloom Cosmetics in Miss Connie I
Any shade of blue is hot for summer
5. Pink - This summers new take on pink is a deep fuchsia. Try Bloom nail polish in Clara, Ozotic nail polish in Pink or Essie nail colour in Watermelon
Take cues from Eva and try a splash of pink
6. Green - Ever since Chanel released its Jade nail polish in 2009, green has grown with popularity. This year's green is best done either in a vivid shade or a muted green with creamy undertones. There is something so fresh and warm about green that it is worth trying this summer. We suggest (left to right) OPI nail lacquer in Greenwich Village or Essie nail colour in Mint Candy Apple
7. Glitter - The holiday season is all about things that sparkle. Whether it is your New Years Eve dress or your nail polish, it is time to splash yourself with some glitter. For truly show-shopping nails, try the limited edition shades from OPI's new Muppet collection or Ozotic nail polish in Elytra. From the Muppet collection we love Rainbow Collection and Divine Swine (pictured below)
8. Metallic - If glitter is a bit too bold for you, why not try the metallic nail trend? You can have the bling factor without looking too OTT. The metallic nail is also one of the most popular nail trends during the SS'12 Fashion Week as seen on Chanel. Try Chanel nail polish in Black Pearl or Kit Cosmetics limited edition Heavy Metals range.
9. Yellow - Rihanna, Katy Perry and street fashionistas alike have channeled the cool yellow nail colours. Whether you prefer bright neons or a soft pastel yellow, you cannot go wrong with yellow this season. Channel the trend of yellow by grabbing Bloom nail polish in either Sass and Bide II (designer collection) or Daisy (pictured below)
Katy Perry, Lady GaGa and Rihanna have all been rocking bright yellow nails
10. White - Steer clear of all winter tones this summer by opting for a touch of white. White nail polish isn't only a required staple in any polish collection, but it is also one of the most elegant and classic nail colours around. Create a truly classic look with Bloom nail polish in Linda or Essie nail colour in Blanc.
The Row used snow white nail polish in their S/S 2012 show to add a soft and elegant finish.
What kind of nail trends have you tried, or will you be trying this summer?